The small town of Rasnov is located in the central part of Romania, about 25 km south from the city of Brasov and about the same distance from Bran, on the road that links Wallachia and Transylvania. Rasnov’s medieval castle derived it’s name from Slavic “žrŭnovy”, meaning (village or valley) “of the mill”. In 14th century, German documents used the name Rasnov, but the modern German name, Rosenau, is based on a popular etymology, being influenced by the German word “Rose”. To ensure protection against both Turkish and Tartar invasions and the trespasses of the feudal noblemen, the inhabitants of Rasnov erected a citadel was built around the year 1215 by the Teutonic Knights and it was mentioned for the first time in 1331. The citadel was conquered only once in its history, around the year 1600 by Gabriel Báthory. Attested by documents since as early as 1335, the fortress was reinforced with ramparts, towers and bulwarks that made it one of the most solid Transylvanian fortresses in the 15th century. Although under multiple sieges along the centuries, the fortress protected the lives and the properties of the inhabitants of Rasnov and of the neighbouring villages. There is a myth attached to Râșnov Citadel. During a particularly long siege of the fortress, the citizens of Râşnov were concerned about the lack of available fresh drinking water. Two Turkish soldiers, having been captured earlier, were put to the task of digging a well in the centre of the fortress. These two men were assured that they would be given their freedom once the well was completed. According to local legend, it took them 17 years to finish the well. This famous well still sits in the centre of Râşnov Fortress, and is 143 metres deep.